JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will goJPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviewsJharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attackSafety must come before production, says DGMS official at IIT (ISM) Dhanbad programmeJMM-Congress opposition to MMDR amendment is ‘political drama’, says Babulal MarandiPalamu: Thieves steal chairs, coolers, inverter and other valuables from panchayat officePrakash Eye Care opens state-of-the-art eye OPD in DaltonganjJamshedpur police stations to get unique 3-digit codes for faster communication

Rs 5 crore ransom demanded in Jamshedpur industrialist’s son kidnapping case

Jamshedpur, Jan 15: More than 48 hours after the abduction of Kairav Gandhi (24), son of prominent Jamshedpur industrialist Devang Gandhi, Jharkhand…

Rs 5 crore ransom demanded in Jamshedpur industrialist’s son kidnapping case

Jamshedpur, Jan 15: More than 48 hours after the abduction of Kairav Gandhi (24), son of prominent Jamshedpur industrialist Devang Gandhi, Jharkhand Police have intensified their search following a ransom demand of Rs 5 crore made by the kidnappers.

Police sources said the ransom demand was communicated through a foreign mobile number traced to Indonesia, giving the high-profile kidnapping case an international angle.

Seven Special Teams Formed

In response, Jharkhand Police have constituted seven special teams, which are carrying out coordinated raids across Jharkhand, Bihar, West Bengal, and Odisha to ensure the safe recovery of Kairav Gandhi.

According to police, Kairav left his residence around noon on Tuesday, informing his family that he would visit the SBI branch in Bistupur and then proceed to his company in Adityapur, before returning home for lunch.

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

When he failed to return by 1:45 pm and his mobile phone was found switched off, the family became alarmed and alerted the police.

Ransom Message Received

Devang Gandhi informed police that he first received multiple missed calls, followed by a WhatsApp message from a foreign number, stating that his son had been kidnapped and demanding ransom.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Later that evening, Kairav’s car was found abandoned near a resort on NH-33 in the Kanderbera area under Chandil police station in East Singhbhum district.

Police said the keys were still in the ignition, while Kairav’s mobile phone was found lying outside the vehicle.

Last Location and Investigation

Investigators traced Kairav’s last mobile location to Sonari, leading police to believe that he was intercepted and forcibly taken into another vehicle.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Police have also identified a suspicious vehicle that was seen repeatedly circling Kairav’s car before the abduction.

Forensic and Cyber Probe Underway

Forensic teams are examining the abandoned vehicle, while cyber and technical units are analysing call records and digital evidence.

Joint teams from Jamshedpur and Seraikela police are scanning CCTV footage from toll plazas and city exit points.

A dedicated police team remains in constant contact with the family, while cyber experts continue efforts to trace the Indonesian number used by the kidnappers.

Industrial Fraternity Demands Swift Action

Meanwhile, the industrial fraternity in Jamshedpur has expressed shock over the incident and has urged police to solve the kidnapping case at the earliest.

 

More from Breaking
JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will go

JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will go

August 17, 2026
JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

August 17, 2026
Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

August 17, 2026

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

About the Author

Suman Shrivastava