1. JPSC-JSSC Protest: Students seek talks with CM Hemant Soren before August 20 gherao 2. SC quashes Ranchi FIR, says commercial dispute cannot be turned into criminal case and more storiesSC quashes Ranchi FIR, says commercial dispute cannot be turned into criminal caseSupreme Court gives big relief to Himadri Steel, sets aside ₹3.23-crore power theft demandJPSC-JSSC Protest: Students seek talks with CM Hemant Soren before August 20 gheraoVande Mataram row: Amit Shah, Bankim descendant demand Congress apologyJharkhand BJP to back students’ peaceful protest, seeks CBI probe into job scamSherghati-Kajree rail link gets Railway ministry nod; ₹2,627 cr project to connect Bihar and PalamuLatehar road accident: Six killed, including child, in Chandwa collision

Centre revamps National Security Advisory Board, appoints Alok Joshi as Chairman

THE JHARKHAND STORY DESK New Delhi, April 30: In the wake of the deadly terrorist attack in Pahalgam that claimed 26 lives,…

Centre revamps National Security Advisory Board, appoints Alok Joshi as Chairman

THE JHARKHAND STORY DESK

New Delhi, April 30: In the wake of the deadly terrorist attack in Pahalgam that claimed 26 lives, the Union government has reconstituted the National Security Advisory Board (NSAB), appointing former RAW Chief Alok Joshi as its new head. The attack has triggered a series of high-level meetings to reassess national security measures.

The revamped seven-member NSAB now includes a panel of distinguished security and diplomatic experts. Among them are retired military leaders—Air Marshal P.M. Sinha (former Western Air Commander), Lieutenant General A.K. Singh (former Southern Army Commander), and Rear Admiral Monty Khanna.

Also Read- Jharkhand News: MHA letter on DGP Anurag Gupta stirs controversy

The board also features retired IPS officers Rajiv Ranjan Verma and Manmohan Singh, as well as former IFS officer B. Venkatesh Varma.

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

The restructuring was accompanied by an urgent review of the country’s security apparatus. A second Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) meeting was convened at Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s residence today, specifically to address preparedness in light of the Pahalgam incident.

In addition to the CCS, the Prime Minister also chaired meetings of the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA) and the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) at his residence.

Advertisement
Advertisement

A cabinet briefing is expected at 3:00 PM today, likely outlining the government’s strategy in response to the growing security concerns.

Earlier, on April 23, the CCS had been briefed in detail on the Pahalgam attack.

Also Read- Jharkhand News: Dhanbad DC directs BCCL to compensate landowners before mining begins

Alok Joshi, the newly appointed Chairman of the NSAB, is reported to have extensive experience in the field of national security. He served as the chief of RAW from 2012 to 2014. According to reports, he was the Chairman of NTRO from 2015 to 2018.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Experts suggest that under Joshi’s leadership, the board will place special emphasis on cyber security, counter-terrorism strategies, and regional geopolitical challenges.

Chairman Alok Joshi is a 1976 batch IPS officer from the Haryana cadre, with in-depth experience in intelligence operations in Nepal and Pakistan.

More from Breaking
1. JPSC-JSSC Protest: Students seek talks with CM Hemant Soren before August 20 gherao 2. SC quashes Ranchi FIR, says commercial dispute cannot be turned into criminal case and more stories

1. JPSC-JSSC Protest: Students seek talks with CM Hemant Soren before August 20 gherao 2. SC quashes Ranchi FIR, says commercial dispute cannot be turned into criminal case and more stories

August 16, 2026
SC quashes Ranchi FIR, says commercial dispute cannot be turned into criminal case

SC quashes Ranchi FIR, says commercial dispute cannot be turned into criminal case

August 16, 2026
Supreme Court gives big relief to Himadri Steel, sets aside ₹3.23-crore power theft demand

Supreme Court gives big relief to Himadri Steel, sets aside ₹3.23-crore power theft demand

August 16, 2026

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

About the Author

Suman Shrivastava