JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will goJPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviewsJharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attackSafety must come before production, says DGMS official at IIT (ISM) Dhanbad programmeJMM-Congress opposition to MMDR amendment is ‘political drama’, says Babulal MarandiPalamu: Thieves steal chairs, coolers, inverter and other valuables from panchayat officePrakash Eye Care opens state-of-the-art eye OPD in DaltonganjJamshedpur police stations to get unique 3-digit codes for faster communication

DIT Admission Case: Jharkhand HC stays CBI probe, next hearing on Jan 29

Ranchi, January 22: The Jharkhand High Court on Thursday stayed the CBI investigation into the alleged irregular admission of students at Dhanbad…

DIT Admission Case: Jharkhand HC stays CBI probe, next hearing on Jan 29

Ranchi, January 22: The Jharkhand High Court on Thursday stayed the CBI investigation into the alleged irregular admission of students at Dhanbad Institute of Technology (DIT) until further orders.

A division bench comprising Chief Justice M.S. Sonak and Justice Rajesh Shankar passed the order while hearing an appeal (LPA) filed by the state government and Jharkhand University of Technology (JUT). The matter will be heard next on January 29.

CBI Says Preliminary Inquiry Registered

During the hearing, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) informed the court that a preliminary inquiry (PE) had already been registered in compliance with the High Court’s earlier order.

Advocate General Rajiv Ranjan told the bench that DIT was granted permission to admit only 60 students on September 9, 2025, but the institute admitted 138 students.

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

ALSO READ: Jharkhand sees relief from cold wave, dry and calm weather prevails

State Challenges January 13 Order

The court was informed that despite exceeding the approved intake, the institute filed a writ petition in the High Court. The petition was heard on January 12 and 13.

Advertisement
Advertisement

On January 13, the High Court ordered a CBI probe into the matter. Challenging this order, the state government and JUT filed the present appeal, leading to the stay on the investigation.

Single Judge Had Made Strong Observations

Earlier, Justice Rajesh Kumar of the Jharkhand High Court had ordered a CBI investigation into allegations that DIT engineering students were allowed admission but later barred from appearing in examinations.

Making sharp observations, the court noted that, prima facie, students appeared to have been “trapped” and their future jeopardised. The court likened the situation to traffic authorities removing ‘No Entry’ signs to trap commuters.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The court also observed that the matter indicated possible corrupt practices and directed the CBI to investigate the role of JUT and the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), including the responsibility of individual officers and institutions.

DIT Cited AICTE Approval

DIT had argued before the single-judge bench that AICTE approved on April 30, 2025, for admissions for the academic session 2025–26. Based on this approval, the institute admitted students.

However, despite the approval, students were allegedly prevented from appearing in examinations, prompting the institute to move the High Court.

The single-judge bench had directed the CBI to submit its report in a sealed cover and ordered JUT and AICTE to fully cooperate with the investigation.

 

 

 

More from Breaking
JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will go

JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will go

August 17, 2026
JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

August 17, 2026
Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

August 17, 2026

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

About the Author

Suman Shrivastava