JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will goJPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviewsJharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attackSafety must come before production, says DGMS official at IIT (ISM) Dhanbad programmeJMM-Congress opposition to MMDR amendment is ‘political drama’, says Babulal MarandiPalamu: Thieves steal chairs, coolers, inverter and other valuables from panchayat officePrakash Eye Care opens state-of-the-art eye OPD in DaltonganjJamshedpur police stations to get unique 3-digit codes for faster communication

BJP calls Jharkhand CM’s foreign trip ‘a scenic excursion with no tangible returns’

THE JHARKHAND STORY NETWORK   Ranchi, April 30: BJP state spokesperson Pratul Shahdeo has sharply criticised Chief Minister Hemant Soren’s recent visit…

BJP calls Jharkhand CM’s foreign trip ‘a scenic excursion with no tangible returns’

THE JHARKHAND STORY NETWORK

 

Ranchi, April 30: BJP state spokesperson Pratul Shahdeo has sharply criticised Chief Minister Hemant Soren’s recent visit to Sweden and Spain, calling it a “successful tourist trip” but a “complete failure” in attracting investment to Jharkhand.

Speaking at a press conference at the party headquarters, Shahdeo questioned both the purpose and the financial rationale of the 11-member foreign delegation. He highlighted that the government had sanctioned ₹4.30 crore for the tour, much of which was handed over to a private event management firm. “Reputed travel operators in Ranchi estimate the trip could have been organised for ₹2.75 lakh per person. Why spend crores through an outside agency?” he asked.

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Shahdeo demanded clarity on the role of the event management company, particularly when the Chief Minister was accompanied by senior officials. “If the entire trip was government-led, what was the need for outsourcing its management?” he said.

He further noted that despite the expenditure, no official investment agreement had been announced. Images shared from the tour only mentioned ‘investment possibilities’—without any signed MoUs or concrete partnerships.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Also Read: Electricity rates surge in Jharkhand

The BJP leader also raised concerns about a football-related partnership. While the Chief Minister was seen visiting FC Barcelona, the official tie-up was with RCDE Barcelona Club, a mid-tier Spanish club owned by Chinese businessman Chen Yansheng. “The government should have conducted proper due diligence, especially given the owner’s controversial background and China’s current geopolitical stance,” Shahdeo stated.

He also questioned the logic behind visiting Volvo in Sweden to explore electric vehicle technology, pointing out that such technology is already being developed in Bengaluru and Pune by companies like Volvo and Tata. Shahdeo dismissed reports linking Tesla to the trip, clarifying that the mention referred to the Czech-based Tesla Group AS, not Elon Musk’s Tesla Inc.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Shahdeo also criticised claims that the CM studied sports marketing in Spain and Sweden, where cricket has little to no presence. “The IPL in India offers far more relevant insights into cricket branding,” he said.

He concluded by urging the state government to release a white paper detailing the expenses, signed agreements, and actual outcomes of the tour.

 

More from Breaking
JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will go

JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will go

August 17, 2026
JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

August 17, 2026
Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

August 17, 2026

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

About the Author

Suman Shrivastava