India’s Gen Z: Turning youth aspirations into democratic strengthJharkhand HC stays cancellation of JSSC-CGL appointments, allows employees to continue workingPalamu class 5 girl seeks help at Jan Samadhan, gets new books and school suppliesJSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will goJPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviewsJharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attackSafety must come before production, says DGMS official at IIT (ISM) Dhanbad programmeJMM-Congress opposition to MMDR amendment is ‘political drama’, says Babulal Marandi

Marandi flags ACB lapses, seeks CBI probe into ₹750 crore Jharkhand liquor scam

  Ranchi, March 31: Leader of Opposition in the Jharkhand Assembly, Babulal Marandi, has written to Governor Santosh Kumar Gangwar seeking immediate…

Marandi flags ACB lapses, seeks CBI probe into ₹750 crore Jharkhand liquor scam

 

Ranchi, March 31: Leader of Opposition in the Jharkhand Assembly, Babulal Marandi, has written to Governor Santosh Kumar Gangwar seeking immediate intervention in the alleged ₹750 crore liquor scam, urging that the probe be handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Marandi, who met the governor today, alleged serious lapses and “suspicious conduct” by the state’s Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB), claiming that the agency failed to file charge sheets within the statutory time frame, allowing several accused to secure default bail. He urged the governor to direct the ACB to immediately file chargesheets and recommend a CBI inquiry into the case.

Allegations Against ACB

Marandi claimed that instead of conducting an impartial investigation, the ACB appeared to be protecting those involved. He alleged that the agency deliberately delayed filing chargesheets, compromising evidence and statutory procedures.

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

According to him, despite more than eight months passing since the key arrests, no chargesheet has been filed. As a result, 14 out of 17 accused have reportedly been granted default bail.

ALSO READ: Jaya Kishori’s 3-day ‘Nani Bai Ro Mayro’ katha begins in Jamshedpur today

Advertisement
Advertisement

Details of Arrests and Bail

The ACB had arrested several officials and individuals in connection with the case in 2025, including then Excise Secretary Vinay Kumar Choubey and Joint Excise Commissioner Gajendra Singh on May 20, followed by other officials linked to the Jharkhand State Beverages Corporation Limited (JSBCL).

Marandi pointed out that Gajendra Singh secured bail within 56 days, while Choubey was granted default bail on August 19, 2025, due to the failure to file a chargesheet within 90 days. The other accused also received similar relief soon after.

Scam Magnitude and Policy Changes

The Opposition leader alleged that changes made to the state’s excise policy in 2022 benefited a particular syndicate, leading to heavy losses for the state exchequer. He claimed that the scam, initially pegged at ₹38 crore, has now expanded to over ₹750 crore.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Concerns Over Investigation

Marandi also cited the case of a liquor businessman, Naveen Kedia, who allegedly absconded after being granted transit bail, questioning the effectiveness of the investigation.

He alleged that there was a concerted attempt to “shield the accused and suppress the scam,” and said public confidence in the investigation had been severely eroded.

Demand for CBI Probe

Calling the matter a “premeditated economic offence,” Marandi urged the governor to step in as the constitutional head of the state. He requested immediate directions to the ACB to file chargesheets and recommended transferring the entire investigation to the CBI to ensure accountability and restore public trust.

 

More from Breaking
India’s Gen Z: Turning youth aspirations into democratic strength

India’s Gen Z: Turning youth aspirations into democratic strength

August 21, 2026
Jharkhand HC stays cancellation of JSSC-CGL appointments, allows employees to continue working

Jharkhand HC stays cancellation of JSSC-CGL appointments, allows employees to continue working

August 21, 2026
Palamu class 5 girl seeks help at Jan Samadhan, gets new books and school supplies

Palamu class 5 girl seeks help at Jan Samadhan, gets new books and school supplies

August 21, 2026

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

About the Author

Suman Shrivastava