JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will goJPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviewsJharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attackSafety must come before production, says DGMS official at IIT (ISM) Dhanbad programmeJMM-Congress opposition to MMDR amendment is ‘political drama’, says Babulal MarandiPalamu: Thieves steal chairs, coolers, inverter and other valuables from panchayat officePrakash Eye Care opens state-of-the-art eye OPD in DaltonganjJamshedpur police stations to get unique 3-digit codes for faster communication

Three Dhanbad youth abducted in Mumbai, Rs 3 crore extortion demanded

SUBHASH MISHRA Dhanbad, May 3: Three youths from Dhanbad have reportedly been abducted in Mumbai, with the kidnappers demanding a ransom of…

Three Dhanbad youth abducted in Mumbai, Rs 3 crore extortion demanded

Representative Image

SUBHASH MISHRA

Dhanbad, May 3: Three youths from Dhanbad have reportedly been abducted in Mumbai, with the kidnappers demanding a ransom of Rs 3 crore for their release.

An FIR in connection with the case has been lodged at Putki police station in Dhanbad district by Manoj Kumar Mahto, the younger brother of one of the abducted men, Saroj Kumar Mahto.

According to the complaint, Saroj and his two friends were kidnapped in Mumbai on April 29 at around 5:30 PM. The FIR was filed on May 1, two days later, after the family received a ransom call from the alleged abductors.

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Also Read- India imposes blanket ban on imports from Pakistan

Victims Had Travelled to Mumbai on April 26

Saroj Kumar Mahto is a resident of Amdih village under the jurisdiction of Putki police station in Dhanbad. As per the FIR, Saroj and his friends had gone to Mumbai via flight from Ranchi on April 26.

On April 29, Manoj Kumar Mahto received a phone call from an unknown number in Mumbai, informing him that Saroj and his companions had been abducted and demanding Rs 3 crore for their release.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The extortionists provided bank account details for the transfer of money, including an account in the name of an NGO—Sparsh Charitable Trust (Axis Bank A/C No. 921020008658744, IFSC: UTIB0002904, Pune) and another in HDFC Bank (A/C No. 50200060216361, Hiranandani Meadows Branch, Thane, Maharashtra).

Also Read- Temple stampede in Goa leaves six dead, over 50 injured

Partial Payment Made; Investigation Underway

In his statement, Manoj claimed that the family had already transferred Rs 4.95 lakh to the HDFC account, but the abductors continued to demand additional money.

Putki police station in-charge Waquar Hussain confirmed that investigations are ongoing and that multiple angles are being explored. He added that since the victims come from a middle-class background, the motive behind such a large extortion demand is also being carefully scrutinized.

Advertisement
Advertisement
More from Breaking
JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will go

JSSC-CGL exam set to be cancelled; CM says all TDPL-conducted exams will go

August 17, 2026
JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

August 17, 2026
Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

August 17, 2026

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

About the Author

Suman Shrivastava