JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviewsJharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attackSafety must come before production, says DGMS official at IIT (ISM) Dhanbad programmeJMM-Congress opposition to MMDR amendment is ‘political drama’, says Babulal MarandiPalamu: Thieves steal chairs, coolers, inverter and other valuables from panchayat officePrakash Eye Care opens state-of-the-art eye OPD in DaltonganjJamshedpur police stations to get unique 3-digit codes for faster communicationHeavy rain alert for Ranchi, South-Eastern Jharkhand today

Railway bosses silent on what led to Howrah- Mumbai Mail mishap in Jharkhand

PINAKI MAJUMDAR   Jamshedpur, July 31: Railway authorities of Chakradharpur division and Garden Reach, the headquarters of South Eastern Railway, today failed to…

Railway bosses silent on what led to Howrah- Mumbai Mail mishap in Jharkhand

PINAKI MAJUMDAR

 

Jamshedpur, July 31: Railway authorities of Chakradharpur division and Garden Reach, the headquarters of South Eastern Railway, today failed to reveal anything about yesterday’s tragic rail mishap involving Howrah- Mumbai Mail at Barabambo killing two passengers and resulting in the injury of numerous passengers following derailment of the train after it hit wagons of a goods train which had already got derailed at the spot earlier.

The driver of the goods train was learnt to have informed the signalling staff regarding the derailment of the wagons six minutes before the Mumbai-bound Howrah- Mumbai Mail met a similar fate resulting in a major mishap.

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Probe by Commissioner of Railway Safety is on

Senior divisional commercial manager of Chakradharpur division, Aditya Kumar Chaudhury, who is also the spokesperson was hesitant to say anything as to what went wrong resulting in the mishap.

Also Read: Construction worker electrocuted in BIT Sindri

Advertisement
Advertisement

“The Commissioner of Railway Safety has initiated a probe. We will be in a position to say anything when the probe gets completed, ” he said talking to The Jharkhand Story.

He went on to say that necessary action would be taken based on the probe report.

In the tragic incident, two passengers lost their lives and several others were injured when at least 18 coaches of the Howrah-Mumbai Mail derailed in the mishap.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Accident occurred near Barabambo

The accident occurred near Barabambo approximately 85 Kms away from Jamshedpur, at 3.40 am on Tuesday.

​The derailment involved 18 coaches of the 22-coach 12810 Howrah-Mumbai Mail via Nagpur. Of these, 16 were passenger coaches, one was a power car, and one was a pantry car.

Due to the derailment of 12810 Howrah-CSMT Mumbai Mail for the second consecutive day today, several trains were cancelled.

List of Cancelled Trains

  •       08163/08164 Chakradharpur-Rourkela-Chakradharpur Special
  •       12768 Santragachi-Nanded Express w
  •       08602 Hatia-Tatanagar Special
  •       08195 Tatanagar-Hatia Special will remain cancelled on August 1
  •       18190 Ernakulam-Tatanagar Express will remain cancelled on August 1
  •       18114 Bilaspur-Tatanagar Express was cancelled today
  •       12872 Titlagarh-Howrah Express was cancelled today

Short Termination

  •       18011 Howrah-Chakradharpur Express, journey commencing today will be short terminated at Adra.

Restoration

  •       13287 Durg-Ara Express, journey commencing today which was decided to short terminate at Jharsuguda, now the train will run on a normal route instead of short termination at Jharsuguda.

The bi-directional 3rd Line is tentatively planned to be made operational today. The other two lines are planned to be made operational in due course of time.

Anil Kumar Mishra, General Manager of South Eastern Railway and Arun Jatoh Rathod, Divisional Railway Manager, Chakradharpur, principal officers of SER were present at the site along with senior officers from the Railway Board for the restoration of services.

 

More from Breaking
JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

JPSC Row: Former Member’s PA BN Ram arrested over alleged ₹40 lakh extortion to fix interviews

August 17, 2026
Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

Jharkhand HC orders security cover for judicial officers across State after 2022 Latehar court attack

August 17, 2026
Safety must come before production, says DGMS official at IIT (ISM) Dhanbad programme

Safety must come before production, says DGMS official at IIT (ISM) Dhanbad programme

August 17, 2026

Stay informed. Get Jharkhand's top stories in your inbox.

Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

About the Author

Suman Shrivastava